Upper Hudson Library System
Friday, April 5, 2002 At UHLS
Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM); Ginny LaJuene (ALTM); Nancy
Pieri (BETH); Carol Trager (BRUN); Darlene Miller (Interim) (CAST); Deborah
Canzano (COHS); Bob Jaquay (COLN); Pat Nonamaker (EGRN); Barbara Nichols Randall
(GUIL); Carol Gaillard (HOOF); Lenny Zapala (MEND); Pat Sahr (NASS); Margie
Morris (POES); Judy Felsten (RCSC); Rebecca Lubin (RVLL); Jane Minotti (SNLK);
Barbara Kubli (STEP); Paul Hicok (TROY); Phil Ritter (UHLS); Bobbi Crowther
(VAFL); Gail Sacco (VOOR); Barbara Schoen (WVLT); Elaine Albrecht (WSTR)
Visitors: Sara Dallas (UHLS)
Meeting convened at 9:00am
Motion (Cannell, Pieri) to approve March 1, 2002 minutes.
UHLS: Phil Ritter
- State Annual Reports – 28 of 29 libraries have submitted their reports,
Berne has not. All member library reports must be submitted together.
- LSTA Grants – Sara reported that the guidelines are broader and are
more toward serving the institution of the library rather than the patrons.
She suggested submitting a statewide grant to bring in Sandra Nelson to train
someone in each library system to facilitate "Planning for Results"
for member libraries of that system. There was discussion regarding the value
of a grant such as this. Baraba Nichols Randall suggested a grant for training
for customer service. The guidelines for the LSTA grants are on the Department
of Library Development (DLD) website - FY 2003 Grant Program Guidelines. It
is recommended that directors review this and become more familiar with it
for further discussions.
- Adult Literacy Services Grant Applications – UHLS received only one
application - from Guilderland.
- NYLA Library Legislative Day – 17 representatives from UHLS system
- NYSALB Trustee Institute – Being held May 3rd & 4th at the Turf
Inn. Directors should encourage trustees to attend.
- Advocacy Leadership Meeting with Commissioner Mills – Meeting will
be held on May 17th. Respond to Phil by April 11th if interested or know someone
that would be interested. He will submit the names.
- Discontinued Pool Collections – many emails have gone out on this
topic, please refer to them for information about the process and the dates.
This process will be completed by May 31st.
- Continuing Education Workshops – draft brochure was distributed
- Trustee Training Program - draft brochure was distributed. Copies will
be mailed to every trustee when it is finalized.
Motion: (Pieri, Kubli) Approve both the Continuing
Education Workshops and Trustee Training Program as distributed. Carried.
- Annual Report Narrative – UHLS is still missing 9 reports
- Trustee, Program and Advocate Awards – Due to UHLS by April 5th.
They will be submitted to committees and the UHLS Board next week.
- Roadrunner Connection – Rawdon will be testing the Roadrunner connection
on Sunday, April 7th after 5pm to see if it is going to work for UHLS.
- SALS/Verizon Grant – Southern Adirondack Library System (SALS) is
a looking for volunteers (in Albany County only) to be etutors. They need
people interested in training (6 hours)as tutors for basic computer skills
at the community level. APLM, COLN, GUIL, WVLT, COHS, WSTL will submit names.
UHLS Administration: N. Pieri
March 4th meeting
- There was discussion regarding the expiration of the lease with the Task
Force Group. (Phil clarified that the task force will take a lease on a month
by month basis at $13 per square foot)
- Consideration of getting purchase journal approved without a quorum.
- Review of UHLS Board bylaws – proposed changes for the number of
votes needed for a majority vote. They discussed the liaison of the Directors’
Association and UHLS Board President being voting members. The problem with
that is there would be an even numbers of votes.
Motion: (Nonamaker, Cannell) UHLS Trustees consider
giving the Directors’ Association liaison to the UHLS Board of Trustees
and Directors’ Association representatives on UHLS Board Committees
voting privileges. Carried.
- Classification Study – surveys have been prepared and sent out to
libraries and agencies. They should be back soon and the Singer Group will
do a report.
Services: J. Felsten
March 5th meeting
- Central library plan of service was brought to the committee and approved
- Outreach Mini Grants were ranked by the committee - $9660 was awarded
- Mother Goose Jazz Band grants need final approval
- Judy requested substitutes for the next three meetings – Barbara
Kubli will do April and Carol Trager will do May and June
Automated Services Committee: N. Pieri (Phil reported)
- Codes & ISTATS – Implementation Team is dealing with this issue.
These items must be correct in order to get the reports that everyone wants.
- Roadrunner Transition
- Email Server – equipment has been ordered
Central Library: J. Cannell
- Rechartering effort – the vote will be on May 21st.
Nuts & Bolts:
WVLT – received 2 grants: Storytellers of Albany (program) & Kids
Count ($1000 for library)
COHS – Roadrunner up and running on staff computers
MEND – Roadrunner will be up and running by May
SNLK – renovations are almost done and the children’s room has
been restored to normal
ALTM – having road reconstruction on major roads in town – they
did a story hour to promote safety. There were 37 children and DOT brought them
helmets and goody bags.
- Judy Felsten drafted a letter from the Directors’ Association regarding
the difficulties with the state report software. There was discussion and
some amendments to the draft.
Motion: (Kubli, Schoen) Authorize Judy Felsten to
send amended letter to Carol Desch regarding the submission of state annual
- Albany County Legislature – letters and phone calls have been made
asking for library funding from the county. Asking for $.50 per capita (received
last year) and will probably get $.25 per capita if approved. The vote is
Monday, April 8th.
- UHLS has been approached by Feura Bush to help them become a reading center;
they are in the RCSC chartered area. Phil and Sara researched this issue and
UHLS has determined that they will not work with Feura Bush to become a reading
center as they are in a served area and that would go against the mission
of UHLS to serve unserved areas.
- Bob will work on nominations for committee representatives
Motion: ( Zapala, Schoen) Meeting adjourned 10:40am.
Next meeting May 3, 2002 at UHLS.