Upper Hudson Library System
Friday, November2, 2001 At UHLS
Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM); Nancy Pieri (BETH); Carol
Trager (BRUN); Carolyn Brook (CAST); (Pat Nonamaker (EGRN); Barbara Nichols
Randall (GUIL); Carol Gaillard (HOOF); Lenny Zapala (MEND); Pat Sahr (NASS);
Sharon Hodges (PTRB); Margie Morris (POES); Judy Felsten (RCSC); Rebecca Lubin
(RVLL); Jane Minotti (SNLK); Linda Fecura (SCHG); Barbara Kubli (STEP); Phil
Ritter (UHLS); Bobbi Crowther (VAFL); Barbara Schoen (WVLT)
Visitors: Marcia Middleton (APLM), Karen Nuckolls (UHLS)
Meeting convened at 9:00am
Motion: (Cannell, Pieri) to approve September 28, 2001(October
meeting) minutes. Carried.
UHLS: Phil Ritter
- Distributed a flyer received at UHLS for “Meet the Funders”
on December 13, 2001. Opportunities to meet organizations that offer grants
and fundraising to non-profits.
- Pool Collection Committee – minutes from these meeting will be on
the Intranet. Next meeting will be held December 4th.
- Advisory Councils – reviewed draft that was distributed at last month’s
meeting. There was a question about allowing for a technology group at some
point. There was discussion of the various groups, how they have been functioning,
and future possibilities.
Motion: (Kubli, Nichols Randall) Recommend UHLS adopt
the plan for Advisory Councils as drafted.
- Contract with Epixtech – UHLS has been negotiating and are working
on some small points in the contract. UHLS wants added to Rider A the need
for a network printer to print out overdue notices ($2000). There was also
a minor change to Rider E, # 2 regarding status changes. ASC has approved
the contract and it is going to go to the UHLS Board of Trustees. The Epixtech
cost proposal was distributed. At this time the total cost is at $362,777.00
with an annual maintenance cost of $59,960.00. The spreadsheet (draft) with
member library costs was distributed. This is not the actual cost at this
time, but it is the way the costs will be figured using updated information
on total holdings and circulation. This formula must be approved by the UHLS
Board by December 31, 2001 as the member libraries are required to receive
a one year notice of their costs for the system. Costs will not increase for
the year 2002.
- Web Specialist – UHLS has received 23 applications for this position.
The applications will be reviewed at a meeting later today to narrow down
the field and interviews will be scheduled. This person will be a PC specialist
in maintenance and repair, with strength in websites. The specialist will
be responsible for maintaining the UHLS site and for helping member libraries
with their websites.
- Verizon Problems – many libraries were affected last week with phone
line issues for UHLAN. UHLS staff did everything they could do and also called
the Public Service Commission to complain about Verizon. It will be investigated.
If any library feels they would like a rebate for days without service, they
should contact Verizon.
- Outreach Mini Grant Study – study was distributed. UHLS Board accepted
the recommendations of the committee.
UHLS Board: P. Nonamaker
- Most of the items have been covered by Phil’s report for today
- Robert Ganz – new trustee on UHLS Board to replace Jim Carr
- UHLS consultants are presenting LSTA grant information to the Board
- Website policy adopted
- Budget (with training specialist position included) was presented the Board
UHLS Finance: P. Nonamaker
- Items covered by Phil’s report
UHLS Administration: N. Pieri
Interest Groups: P. Nonamaker
- YSS – small libraries met at the beginning to discuss programming
large libraries met at the end to discuss staffing – they would like
to have a substitute list sent recommendations to Implementation Team/Epixtech
for kids catalog
- Reference – will meet 11/15 to discuss travel guides and travel programs
Services: J. Felsten
- Website administration policy
- Outreach mini grant study
- Variances for standards
Automated Services Committee: N. Pieri
- Approved cost proposals for Epixtech
Central Library: J. Cannell
- Thank you to those who attended NYLA. Thank you Gail Sacco for taking on
the Local Arrangements Committee.
- Albany County funding - no new funding for libraries. Jeff suggested that
one check be sent to UHLS for distribution to Albany County member libraries.
UHLS has agreed to this.
- Central Library Advisory Council - meeting 11/7 at 9am at Albany Public
Nuts & Bolts:
- Rensselaer County libraries – regular county funding is in place
and an additional $2500 is in the budget for each library. This half of what
we received as extra last year.
- Carol Trager brought up the possibility of a system-wide amnesty week for
overdue books. Libraries that have done this in the past felt that it was
not a good idea. Patrons hold onto their books until the amnesty period and
you still do not get back the books you want.
Motion: (Gaillard, Cannell) Meeting adjourned 10:55am.
Next meeting December 7, 2001 at UHLS.