Upper Hudson Library System
Friday, July 6, 2001 at UHLS
Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM); Nancy Pieri (BETH); Carol Trager (BRUN;
Deborah Canzano (COHS); Bob Jaquay (COLN); Pat Nonamaker (EGRN); Carol Hamblin
(GUIL); Carol Gaillard (HOOF); Pat Sahr (NASS); Margie Morris (POES); Judy Felsten
(RCSC); Rebecca Lubin (RVLL); Barbara Kubli (STEP); Paul Hicok (TROY); Phil
Ritter (UHLS); Bobbi Crowther (VAFL); Gail Sacco (VOOR)
Meeting convened at 9:00am
Motion (Cannell, Hamblin) to approve June1, 2001 minutes with corrections
of: Database Deletions (from Phil Ritter’s report) affect Albany, Troy, Cohoes
(not Guilderland) Carried.
UHLS: Phil Ritter
- Public Performance Videos – There are still a lot left at UHLS after distribution
to member libraries. Phil asked that directors see if there are any other
PPVs that are wanted before the next step is taken for disposing of them.
- NYLA Registration – UHLS is again offering to pay the $190 early bird registration
for the NYLA conference to be held in Albany in October. Registration forms
need to be sent to Sara Dallas by July 31st to take advantage of
- Salary Survey – revised draft was distributed – Phil is trying to finalize
the form for distribution. There was discussion regarding several issues:
1) Draft Question # 9 - Will your staff
receive a salary increase in 2002? – Directors would like it broken
down into merit, COLA, etc.
2) New question to be added – Do you have a pension plan for retirees? If
so, which one?
3) Use ranges for salaries when there is more than one person involved.
4) Classification in draft question # 10 need to be changed – directors
should email classifications in their libraries to Bob Jaquay.
He & Richard Naylor will compile them and send them on to Phil in order
to have the final draft ready for the next meeting.
5) New question to be added - All other benefits not covered in this
- CIPA/Erate – Jo-Ann Benedetti has offered to hold a workshop on Tuesday, September
11th for trustees, staff, etc., on this subject (an evening session
has been requested). It is an informational workshop only. This will allow
for discussion between trustees of other libraries regarding their thoughts
on CIPA. Rachel will put together a flyer to be distributed regarding this
- Automation/Technology Position- Jonathan Koppel started work on July 2nd.
He will get out to all facilities at some point to see what technology everyone
is using. UHLS is not going forward with hiring for the training position
at this time.
- Satisfaction Survey – will be distributed after Labor Day and will be due
back to UHLS by October 1st.
- Web Site Administration Policy – draft of the UHLS policy was distributed
for review. This will be put on the agenda for the August Directors’ Association
meeting. Call Jo-Ann Benedetti with any questions.
- Meeting Room Policy – draft of the UHLS policy was distributed for review.
There has not been a policy in place. This policy has gone through several
revisions (we reviewed draft 5). The only concern raised was regarding possible
conflicts with CDLC for room use. Phil said that there has not been an issue
to this point but he will bring our concern to the staff.
Motion (Kubli, Canzano) Directors’ Association endorses UHLS Meeting
Room Policy as listed in draft #5. Carried.
- Chapter-A-Day Book Clubs – Phil distributed a proposal from Mary Fellows
for UHLS to pay for this service for member libraries and to help them set
it up. More time is needed by directors to look into this. It will be put
on the agenda for August.
- Automation System Migration – no decision has been made yet. UHLS is in
the implementation phase. They are checking references for Epixtech (at this
time they are not pursuing Triple I), doing network analysis, asking questions
of systems that have Epixtech and looking into a free trial for our system
to access to see how it works.
An implementation team needs to be formed to work with the Epixtech implementation
team. Epixtech teams will go out to a selected group of libraries to check
on hardware and bandwidth. There was discussion of the size of the UHLS team
– it will be comprised of: 2 UHLS staff - Karen Nuckolls &
Rawdon Cheng; 2 large library representatives - Marcia Middleton &
Richard Naylor; 1 medium library - Pat Nonamaker;and 1 small library
– yet to be determined.
Richard Naylor had proposed a timeline for the decision on a vendor: July
24 – make decision on vendor; spend the next month negotiating; August 24th
- accept negotiation; finalize everything by September.
Gail Sacco, Barbara Kubli and Judy Felsten planned to meet after the Directors’
Association today to discuss fundraising for this project to offset costs
to member libraries. There was discussion for the reason and need for this
activity. There is concern about the impact this would have on fundraising
attempts at the local level if we were fundraising as a system. There was
a general feeling that more needs to be known about the actual costs of the
new system and its impact on member libraries before any fundraising ideas
Motion (Canzano, Cannell) Table any fundraising planning until more
information is available as to costs to member libraries. Carried.
UHLS Board: P. Nonamaker
No meeting held.
UHLS Finance: P. Nonamaker
No meeting held.
UHLS Administration: N. Pieri
No meeting held.
Interest Groups: P. Nonamaker
Reference – discussed core reference collection for small libraries. List
of suggested materials available.
Services: J. Felsten
No meeting held.
Automated Services Committee: N. Pieri
See Automation System Migration above.
Central Library: J. Cannell
- New café will be opening soon, run by the Good Food Company
- Hired a new computer lab coordinator
- Times Union – Wednesday, July 11th and Sunday, July 15th
– list of summer reading events (1/2 page)
- Albany County checks were mailed out – check with local officials to get
Nuts & Bolts:
RCSC – Judy distributed an opinion letter regarding the Albany County
Legislative Grants – she feels that her library is not getting its fair share
and would like this addressed before next year’s round of grants.
COLN – celebrated its 25th anniversary
COHS – 116 people attended the performance by a magician to kick off
the summer reading program
- All annual reports have been sent in.
- Fall conference – this has been postponed due to the NYLA conference in
Albany. We will re-evaluate for a possible winter conference.
Motion (Felsten, Kubli) Meeting adjourned 11:20am. Next meeting August
3, 2001 at UHLS.