Upper Hudson Library System
Friday, March 2, 2001 at UHLS
Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM); Helen King (ALTM); Nancy Pieri
(BETH); Carol Trager (BRUN); Deborah Canzano (COHS); Bob Jaquay (COLN); Carol
Hamblin (GUIL); Carol Gaillard (HOOF); Pat Sahr (NASS); Margie Morris (POES);
Judy Felsten (RCSC); Barbara Kubli (STEP); Bobbi Crowther (VAFL)
Visitors: Phil Ritter (UHLS); Suzanne Fisher (VOOR)
Meeting convened at 9:10 am
Motion (Canzano, Trager) to approve February 2, 2001 minutes. (Corrections of:
UHLS printed annual report, not regular annual reports.) Carried.
Presentation by Rawdon Cheng: Wireless Networks – pros, cons, costs,
UHLS: P. Ritter
- Automation systems demonstrations - 2 have been held, 3 more to go. Directors
should attend ASC meetings during this time while discussions are being held
regarding the new system choices.
- Interviews are being held today, Monday, & Tuesday for the technology
specialist and the training specialist.
- Supplemental aid for library construction – 9 applications were received
- Pandora’s Box Workshops – still some openings
- Outreach Mini-Grant have been received and committee met 3/1
- New web pages for adult services – access through UHLS page –
services - adult services. If this is successful each department will develop
their own page.
UHLS Board: P. Nonamaker
UHLS Finance: P. Nonamaker
No report (Phil reported that the reconciled budget was presented.)
UHLS Administration: N. Pieri
- Travel reimbursement is going to the IRS rate.
- No change in the annual report for UHLS.
- Meeting room policies are under discussion.
Interest Groups: P. Nonamaker
(Bob stated that the YSS group would be meeting at the Albany International
Airport on March 16th. )
Services: J. Feltsen
Did not meet – Outreach grants going to committee.
Automated Services Committee: N. Pieri
Automation system demos
Central Library: J. Cannell
- Public relations – vending out and revising newsletter, logo, website,
- Hired development director – fundraising both private and public
- Participating in University library school survey – how people use
the Internet in public libraries
Nuts & Bolts:
- Notification for Albany County funds have gone out to supervisors &
mayors – libraries need budget plan
- Guilderland – distributed newsletters, working on Town Bicentennial
for 2003, hiring a new computer specialist
- RCSC – extended videos to ILL, drop fine to ten cents per day. Bibliotecha
Ensemble to perform on 3/18.
- Altamont – co-sponsoring with PTA – Albany Berkshire Ballet
on 3/16 @ 7:00pm.
- Voorheesville – Gail Sacco will be returning on March 5th. The Fingers
Lake Guitar Quartet will perform on 3/18. Friends of Voorheesville Library
are sponsoring a trip to the Bronx Zoo/Botanical Garden on 4/21.
- Thank you to Jo-Ann Benedetti for Fabric of Freedom Grant.
- Stephentown – mounting a website
- Poestenkill – move has again been postponed – need more support
for the second floor – hope to move by the end of April.
- Discussion of policies and standards (using list emailed to everyone by
Nancy Pieri) – ran through list of issues - everyone needs to think
about how these standard and how we changed them or make them more uniform
across the system, if possible. Next month we will cover the current standards
for ID requirements and renewals.
- All libraries should be using the same registration card. Old ones should
be thrown out. The new cards say Revised 1999.
Motion (Gaillard, Tager) Meeting adjourned 11:15 am. Next meeting April
6, 2001 @ 9:00am @ UHLS.