Upper Hudson Library System
Friday, September 8, 2000 at UHLS
Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM), Nancy Pieri (BETH), Bob Jaquay
(COLN), Carol Hamblin (GUIL), Carol Gaillard (HOOF), Pat Sahr (NASS), Daryl
McCarthy (NGRN), Margie Morris (POES), Archa Wachowicz (RVLL), Paul Hicok (TROY),
Bobbi Crowther (VAFL), Gail Sacco (VOOR)
Visitors: Phil Ritter (UHLS)
Meeting convened at 9:05 a.m.
Motion (Pieri, Cannell ) to approve August 4, 2000 minutes.
UHLS: P. Ritter
- Trustee handbooks were sent to each library – there are limited quantities
left, please call Heidi if you need more.
Construction Grants – 4 applications were received. They are being processed.
- State reports/State aid – there are difficulties with the annual report
software at Library Development, which has held up the release of state aid
money. UHLS has done everything it could to assist in getting this issue resolved.
They have not been given a date for release.
- Service survey has been completed and the results will be released on the
Intranet. A hard copy will be sent also.
- Staff performance surveys – this was a voluntary survey. There was
discussion as to its intended purpose. There was not a large response.
- Call Phil to set up an appointment (if desired) to meet with him - individually,
with staff, and/or with your board.
- LSTA Grants - “E-books” grant was not approved; “Numbers
tell a story” has been approved and training is scheduled to take place
from January to April; the 3rd grant has not had a ruling yet.
- RFP for automation is on the Intranet – please call with any changes.
There will be a meeting on September 26th to finalize the RFP and to submit
it to the UHLS Board for approval.
- Senator Charles Schumer will be holding a press conference on Monday, 9/11
at 1:30 p.m. at Albany Public Library to introduce his bill appropriating
1 billion dollars for library construction.
- Trustee training – is there any interest in this service? It would
need to be in conjunction with SALS & MVLA.
- Watch the Intranet for a list of possible workshops to be offered for next
UHLS Board: P. Nonamaker
UHLS Finance: P. Nonamker
UHLS Administration: N. Pieri
Interest Groups: P. Nonamaker
Services: J. Feltsen
Automated Services Committee: N. Pieri
- Roadrunner – there will be a meeting with people from Time Warner
after the next ASC meeting on September 26th. The ASC meeting begins at 9:00
am, the Roadrunner meeting will be at approx. 10:30 a.m. Time Warner/Roadrunner
will discuss and answer questions about their service.
Central Library: J. Cannell
- The café is now out of business. Albany Public is trying to determine
if they should look for another provider or use the space for some other purpose.
- Discussion regarding the Times Union article (9/8) regarding Albany County
lawmakers considering funding for libraries in the county. This is a one-time
offer of 50 cents per capita to supplement state funds.
Nuts & Bolts:
- Sunday is the 13th annual Library Day. There will be an antique appraisal,
music, entertainment, and prizes. Fun for all!
- The referendum is approaching for the renovation of the library. There is
a display of the plans for the new addition in the lobby. A public forum will
be held on September 20th.
- Staff is in the process of weeding the collection in anticipation of the
move to a much smaller place (True Value store in Glenmont) while the renovation
is going on. The library is expected to be displaced for 12 –16 months.
They are also seeking a space for administration and processing.
- A mural is being painted on the façade of the building. The Downtown
Development Association is funding it.
- Received $20,000 from John Faso for repair of their crumbling mezzanine.
- As per the library board, RVLL will soon have 2 new “branches”
of the library – remote drop boxes for patrons to leave books and pick
up requests. There was discussion about the security of books/materials being
given out in this manner, especially ILL materials. There is concern on the
part of the other UHLS libraries about this new service.
- Sunday hours are back to 1:00 to 5:00. The longer hours never began. The
issue of time and a half pay is still under discussion.
- They have become the Webmaster for the Town of New Scotland. There is no
charge for this service at this time.
- Directors’ Conference – Friday, October 20th at the Troy Country
Club - Speakers are scheduled, everything is on track. Sara Dallas is working
on the brochure that should be out soon. There was discussion as to who should
Motion: (Sacco, Sahr) Invitations to the Directors’
Conference should be extended to the UHLS consultants. Carried.
- Times Union – continued discussion from last meeting regarding how
to approach the TU about the issue of publicity.
Motion (Cannell, Gaillard) Meeting adjourned 10:55
am. There will not be a meeting in October due to the conference.
The next meeting will be held on November 10th, the place is yet to