Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM), Bobbi Crowther (VAFL), Carol Gaillard (HOOF), Paul Hicok (TROY), Bob Jaquay (COLN), Barbara Kubli (STEP) Daryl McCarthy (NGRN), Jane Minotti (SNLK), Margie Morris (POES), Pat Nonamaker (EGRN), Nancy Pieri (BETH), Pat Sahr (NASS), Carol Trager (BRUN), Archa Wachowicz (RVLL), Lenny Zapala (MEND)
Visitors: Phil Ritter, Sara Dallas
Meeting convened at 9:00 am
Motion (Cannell, Zapala) to approve June 2, 2000 minutes. Carried.
Phil Ritter, new UHLS director was welcomed.
UHLS: P. Ritter
1. Trustees – officers and committees
2. Annual meeting – second largest attendance
3. Gates Foundation meeting have gone well
4. Annual reports done and reviewed
5. UHLS & Troy Music Hall working to get Mark O’Connor for 2001-2002
6. Grant for NYS Council for Humanities has been approved
7. Graphic email training is continuing
8. Karen attended Dragnet 2000 – patron email notices for reserves can be done
9. Survey for NYS for last year’s construction will be sent to all libraries
10. UHLS survey needs to be sent in by August 6th
11. Phil will begin visiting libraries in September. Let him know if you would
like to meet with him individually or with your board.
No report form July. No meeting in August. Vice President is to attend meetings as Directors’ Association representative.
No report from July. No meeting in August.
No meeting in July. Next meeting August 14th at 3:00pm.
Interest Groups: P. Nonamaker
AV: meeting was held at Bethlehem – speaker is the owner of a cable TV station and an independent filmmaker
Automated Services Committee: N. Pieri
No chairperson was in attendance at the last meeting. They worked on a 4-5 page document of items available in the system and a list of wants/needs. Meetings on July 18th & August 22nd.
Discussion of RFP for new automation system. Discussion of TAOS & promises of future service – not currently working as promised. Concerns about when we will get a new system. Phil Ehrlich will take over as chairperson in August.
Central Library: J. Cannell
1. New newsletter & calendar – "Bibliotech"
2. New tenant at Edgar’s – now known as "Café at the Library" and run by Mother Earth Café.
3. Library is lobbying for more money from Albany County. Discussion regarding Rensselaer County funding and meeting with county officials to ask them also.
4. Online catalog request are doing very well – patrons are very pleased
and the send item list is growing
Nuts & Bolts:
EGRN: Ground breaking was held on June 27th. Work is delayed due to teamster strike.
POES: Work is to begin on renovations to new location on July 24th.
NASS: They held a Child Lifesaving course. Two people showed up that weren’t expected but the instructors said that they could share the lifesaving dummies with others and join in. The next week there was an incident with one of the participant’s children and she was able to save that child’s life with her training.
TROY: Started an online book club. This service is provided by nonprofit organization that has the right to reproduce the books. A couple of paragraphs are emailed daily to each participant. They read a couple of chapter online and then have to finish by reading the book. The agency makes sure that the books are available in through UHLS.
STEP: Wondered if anyone used a consultant to determine space needs. It was suggested they try Joe Fama of TAP.
CAST: Name is being changed to Schodack Castleton Library. They will now go for a change in charter service area. They will serve around 12,000 people.
COLN: Renewals over the phone are working out well. Bob reported on an incident in the library (a four-year-old girl fell off their mezzanine) to help everyone be aware of the need for a Crisis Management Plan. He has offered to help libraries work on a plan.
Discussion regarding the issue of the Metroland at Colonie. This led to a brief discussion regarding the bills in Congress regarding Internet filtering.
BETH: Moving on a referendum to add a 2nd floor to the library. They will need to move the library holdings to a temporary location while the work is being done.
Nancy Pieri reminded everyone about the continuing education program. Her staff went to an Anger Management Program that was wonderful. It should be offered to everyone.
1. Should we have some topic-focused meeting? Any suggestions?
2. LSTA Grant – working with your number and evaluations. UHLS, Mid York, Mohawk, SALS all working together on this. Speakers will be Sara Nelson & Keith Curry-Lance (Colorado).
3. Directors’ Association Conference in October – suggested topics
are E Books and Crisis Management to include the subject of unattended children.
Motion (Cannell, Pieri) Meeting adjourned 10:30 am. Next meeting August 4th at Sand Lake.