Friday, April 2, 1999
Attending: Jeff Cannell (APLM), Deb Canzano (COHS), Bobbi
Crowther (VAFL), Carol Hamblin (GUIL), Bob Jaquay (COLN), Candace Lind (CAST),
Pat Nonamaker (EGRN), Nancy Pieri (BETH), Gail Sacco (VOOR), Pat Sahr (NASS),
Karen Schneider (BRUN), Archa Wachowicz (RVLL).
Also attending: Sarah Dallas (UHLS), Pam Daves (UHLS, BRUN),
Hemwatie Jaipershad (UHLS), Bill Meredith (UHLS, APL).
- Motion (Cannell, Hamblin) to approve March 5, 1999 minutes. Carried.
2. Liaison Reports
UHLS Board of Trustees: N. Pieri.
- Outreach mini-grants approved by the Services Committee were announced.
See attachment #1. K. Schneider requested that the example in the grant description
be changed next year. The example given for funding Large Print book purchases
is not fundable. K. Schneider stated it was her understanding there were no
additions to the Large Print pool collection last year. S. Dallas said she
has been purchasing new Large Print.
Interest Groups: P. Nonamaker
- Only ILL Interest Group was able to return a final statement of the division
of responsibilities for UHLS consultant and member libraries. YS, Ref and
A/V should be ready for May meeting. B. Jaquay requested more information
about the groups’ problems in the past when UHLS consultants coordinated
Services Committee: P. Daves
- Committee discussed free direct access including the need to establish
standards for determining an underserved area and solutions for handling unserved
areas. Services Committee will be writing the system plan to deal with serving
both areas. H. Jaipershad will send out a survey to member libraries requesting
input about this issue. A progress report on this plan must be sent to SED
this summer and a final plan by year-end.
- No change in 2000 pool collection budget. B. Meredith stated the need to
gather data documenting pool collection circulation to help determine the
direction of its future. The Committee will discuss 2001 funding with input
from members of Special Topics Committee (see below).
- Courier service is on the agenda for April.
Automated Services: N. Pieri
- K. Schneider stated that a 3-5 year implementation plan for TAOS, including
conversion to an all-PC environment, was too long, citing the need for UHLS
to be on the cutting edge rather than always catching up. N. Pieri noted the
expense for the PC conversion will be primarily on the large libraries since
most smaller libraries purchased PCs when they joined UHLAN.
- K. Schneider stated that the September 1999 date in the Long Range Plan
for implementation of Web 2 interface was too far away and requested it be
changed to June 1999. There was discussion about whether Rawdon, K. Nuckolls,
WIZ committee and ASC are all aware of their responsibilities related to Web
2. Consensus: they are.
- Discussion of the appropriateness of reviewing the Security Subcommittee
Report line by line. Opinions divided. It will be on the April 27 ASC agenda
Special Topics: C. Lind
- Group met March 18 at COHS with Jean Cheviak of CDLC who presented information
on CDLC services, including CONAN going on-line. C. Lind agreed to write meeting
notes in the future which would be attached to DA minutes.
- D. Canzano suggested Special Topics Committee conduct a survey about the
pool collection and find member libraries willing to work with the UHLS Services
Committee on the future direction of the pool collection. Their next meeting
will cover this topic.
3. Central Library: J. Cannell
- Renovations continue. Completion expected in two months.
4. Delivery Schedule: K. Schneider
- Karen requested daily courier delivery citing BRUN as a medium library,
the third largest in Rensselaer Co., accessible and suburban, not rural, with
increasing circulation, and a linked collection. With deliveries only twice
a week the bags hold too much material to be processed in one day and staff
is burdened with trying to get it all done without compromising service to
the public. Motion (Jaquay, Cannell) that BRUN receive daily delivery.
- B. Meredith stressed the need to set criteria for determining the delivery
- J. Cannell asked if Services Committee is considering contracting out the
courier service. P. Daves replied the Committee discussed it and has asked
for financial projections so they can study it further.
5. UHLS: H. Jaipershad
- LSTA grants must be written soon. H. Jaipershad requested e-mail input
from directors on topics but received no response. Discussion followed about
whether this memo was replacing the traditional meeting held with directors
and consultants. H. Jaipershad indicated she was trying something new - to
pull ideas together before the meeting - which consultants could then pool
with theirs so some of the brainstorming is done beforehand. N. Pieri and
G. Sacco stated that this was not clear in HJ's memo. HJ will re-post the
memo. A meeting was scheduled for directors and UHLS consultants Thursday,
April 15, 1999, 9:30 A.M. at UHLS to discuss the LSTA grants.
- Hemwatie announced she is sending out a survey to help member libraries
decide if they have adequate officer’s liability insurance. It was designed
by UHLS’s insurance co. Discussion followed on whether the results should
be sent to more than one insurance co., whether UHLS should be acting on behalf
of this insurance co., and whether any libraries had requested this. Hemwatie
will white out the name of the insurance company and leave it up to directors
if they want to return it.
- NYSALB Conference is April 30 and May 1.
- UHLS Board is seeking a trustee to represent small libraries in Rensselaer
County and another for Albany County.
Meeting adjourned 10:40 a.m. for presentation from P. Daves on UHLS Long Range
Plan. See attachment #2.
Submitted by Patricia Nonamaker, EGRN