On the south side of Creble Road before
it hits 9W is an early colonial Dutch house confirmed to be the oldest
house in the Town of Bethlehem. Dating from ca. 1720 the original
house was a Dutch urban style home rarely seen today. A stone and
brick addition dates ca. 1740. The Winne homestead was built by Pieter
D. Winne, grandson of the original settler who was known as "Pieter
de Vlamingh," the Fleming from whom the Vloman Kill nearby traces
its name. The original gable brick wall features fleur-de-lis wall
anchors and a transom light over the door frame. Other portions of
the house are original.
Four generations of Winnes lived here.
An addition built in the 1750's was needed for Pieter Winne's maturing
family; uses of a second addition built much later are uncertain.
The Crebles bought the farm at auction in 1906 which was home to them
for sixty years. Brian A. Parker, a Slingerlands native, is painstakingly
restoring the home with hand blown glass from Germany and other historically
faithful materials to recreate a Bethlehem treasure. He founded the
Brian Parker Restoration Company and has restored several buildings
in the Albany area and surrounding counties.
The Bethlehem Archeology Group headed
by Floyd Brewer, Field Director, conducted a two-year dig here from
2000-2001. A large find of artifacts and research documented the age
of the home and revealed much of early Dutch life. Artifacts can be
seen at the Bethlehem Historical Association Museum.
of photo: Van Woert, Rev. H. S. History of the First Reformed
Church of Bethlehem, New York. J. B. Lyon Printers, Albany, 1923.